Friday, August 18, 2017

Lasso Those Negative Thoughts



https://www.amazon.com/Twins-Cowboy-Triple-Cowboys-Book-ebook/dp/B072JMTPMR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502999632&sr=8-1&keywords=Twins+for+the+cowboy

Friday on the ranch, my friends, and it’s a glorious day as the sun rises over the mountains and calves moo for their mamas. Something about breathing in fresh mountain air and warm horse flesh (among other horse smells) clears the senses and gets my creative juices flowing, so I rose early and moseyed out to the barn. Shane was there, saddling up for the day ahead, so we jawed a bit. He’s not a writer, but he’s about as wise a fella as ever stuck his boot in the stirrup.

What did we discuss? You, and this week of watching writers push out of their chrysalises like pretty butterflies stretching, stretching toward the sky. Shane said that. And I told him he should have been a writer. He laughed. He also helped me focus on a common thread that seemed to run through this week’s posts. So here we go. Hitch up your garters, tighten up the cinch and listen in.

Confidence, or lack thereof, is a theme I see in many of your comments. Trust me, it’s a plague. Most writers I know deal with self-doubts, some more than others. But note the operative words: Writers deal with it. How? Here’s a few tips:

·       Stop the negative thoughts. Just stop. Remember in 2 Corinthians 10 where we're advised to cast down imaginations and to bring into captive every thought--- the negative thoughts, not your story imaginings. Replace those negative voices with positive ones. Remind yourself of your successes, however small. Finished a page? A chapter? That’s success. If someone once said you could write, replay it like your favorite YouTube video. For years, I lived on my high school English teacher’s words. She said I could write, and oh, how desperately I wanted to believe her. I repeated those words in my head through all the dark rejections, contest agonies, and wicked voices telling me I would never make it. Guess what? Those voices lie.

·       Listen to the voices. What? Didn’t I just say to ignore them? These are different voices, the good ones. The voices of your characters, of the story that plays in your subconscious. You have them, don’t you? Most writers do. Other "normal" people don’t. Once, while speaking to a group of non-writers, someone asked where I got my ideas. I mentioned the people and stories I'd always had inside my head. When they looked at me a bit funny, the truth hit me, so I asked. To a person, none of these non-writers had ever had a story scene or a voice or a insistent character push into their minds. I’ll admit I was shocked. It was at that moment I realized writers are wired differently. It’s our gift. And if you have it, wouldn’t it be an insult to the gift-giver not to use it? So go ahead. Listen to those voices.

·       Realize you have something valuable to share  through your words that no one else has. No one.  You never know when you'll write something that is exactly what a reader needed to hear. They'll write to you and tell you, and you'll be both gratified and humbled.

·       Remember Deb Kastner’s personal GMC. Write your answers down and revisit them now and then. The hard, cold truth about writing is this: No one will force you to write except you. Writing is one of those rare jobs that is both freeing and daunting because it is 100% self-motivated, especially in the beginning. If you really want it, and I think all of you do,  you will write, whether you ever publish or not.

·       Do it afraid. Do it insecure. Do it with those nasty voices whispering you’re not good enough. Maybe you aren’t yet. But you can be.

·       Study the craft. And never stop learning. The more you know, the more confident you become of getting it right.  But, as this old dog was reminded recently at RWA, “Don’t let technique get in the way of the story.” Wham! That hit me right in the keyboard. Even now I’m guilty of thinking too much about sentence structure and such when story must be king. Technique is important, don’t get me wrong, but don’t get so hung up that you lose your voice, your style, your story. Remember, you have something valuable to share. 

·       Now, go write your beautiful book. 



Winner of the RITA Award for excellence in inspirational fiction, Linda Goodnight has also won the Booksellers’ Best, ACFW Book of the Year (twice), and a Reviewers’ Choice Award from Romantic Times Magazine.

Linda has appeared on the New York Times, USA Today, Publisher's Weekly, and Christian bestseller lists, and her romance novels have been translated into more than a dozen languages. A  former nurse and teacher, Linda loves writing fiction that carries a message of hope and light in a sometimes dark world.

Linda enjoys cooking, reading, and travel. Next on her bucket list is Israel and Scotland. She lives in Oklahoma with husband, Gene, who, ironically, doesn't travel at all, and two of their daughters, Masha & Victoria.

51 comments:

  1. Did everyone sleep in? I'm up and on my second cup of coffee.
    Thank you for your encouraging words, Linda. "Remember, you have something valuable to share." This is so true and important to keep in mind when self-doubt bubbles to the surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Jill. I'm still on my first cup and trying to wrangle a school-at-home teenager toward class. But yes, I think of all the times I've gotten emails or even letters about something I wrote. At the time I wrote it, that particular phrase or theme didn't seem that important to me, but to that reader, it was something special, something valuable. Touching people-I just love that part of being a writer.

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Linda! Your words are a balm to my spirit as I breathe in the fresh Idaho air. And yes, I am going to "do it afraid"...a horseback ride on a difficult trail! Blessings to all the writers on this glorious day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go, Olivia! You can do this thing. Get on that pony and ride that difficult trial. The view is amazing!

      Delete
  3. Linda, this is great and so needed. I keep an "encouragement" file where I post contest wins or finals, plus encouraging words from people who read my stuff.
    It also helps to hear from published writers who are really just people like me, except that they stuck with it. So I'll stick with it too.
    Kathy Bailey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaybee, you are so smart to keep an encouragement file. Brilliant, in fact, for those lousy days when the negative voices get really loud. But not today. Today is a good day to write.

      Delete
    2. Kathy, thanks for mentioning the Encouragement File - which reminded me I have a OneNote Notebook called "Encourage" which would fit the bill here!

      Linda, thanks for the many encouraging thoughts, which we all seem to need.

      Delete
    3. Great idea Kathy. I like this. I need to do this. I do write a list of all I am thankful for each morning, so this would fit right in with that.

      Delete
    4. Dana, looks like you're doing the same thing.'
      Sandra, it helps when you're tempted to give up, which I have learned form here that even published writers get the blues.
      KB

      Delete
  4. Linda, thank you so much for this encouragement. I loved what you said about writing afraid. I am part of a little group and we often remind each other: "Write scared." Between this and accepting the truth that we each do have something valuable to share, I can see the work God still needs to do in my heart.

    Thank you for sharing these wise words! I'm holding onto them as I find me a quiet bench in the woods her on the ranch where I can write and be inspired today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it afraid. That's my mantra, especially when I first start a book. I feel as if I'm about to jump off a cliff without a parachute. I jump anyway and, if this scared-of-the-dark kid can do it, anyone can!

      Delete
  5. Great advice, Linda! I'm taking in that Idaho air, then writing...and not stopping.

    Fun to have you here at the retreat with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherida, I'm thrilled that Ruthie invited me. I wouldn't miss this clean mountain air for anything. I'm getting ready to start a new project myself and have been brainstorming ideas this week.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the encouragement. This is a new day to begin anew the task of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wilani, (love your name!) I absolutely agree. Begin anew and fresh every day. Today, I'm going to figure out what's next in all this pile of ideas, that right now, looks like a rubbish pile!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the encouragement, Linda. I am one of those lacking confidence. I will remember to write, even when afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, when I first started, I was so insecure, I attended a tiny writer's group for months without saying a word. I was intimidated by "real" writers, and was sure I'd never be one of them. Those pesky negative voices again. Just keep pushing through. You can do this thing.

      Delete
    2. Sandy, if I have learned anything in hanging around Seekerville, it's that published and even multi-published writers are Just Like Us. So you might as well believe in yourself, because you're no different than they are.
      OH, I am on a roll today.
      KB

      Delete
  8. Linda, I'm revisiting an old project to make it new, and so am also brainstorming this week. I've had some help here "around the campfire" where several campers added their thoughts for my cozy mystery. Might allow myself today and this weekend to finish up brainstorming, but then I think it's time to just "do it afraid."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, I think it's terrific that other campers are helping you brainstorm. Maybe I should have joined the campers instead of the counselors!! Like you, I have to get through the brainstorming soon and just do it afraid. Good luck. Cozy mysteries are so fun.

      Delete
  9. Love this. I struggle daily with doubt and fear, but most days I'm able to push through it with prayer, and the support and encouragement of others. I have so much yet to learn about craft and technique, but hopefully I'm getting there. Thank you for such an uplifting post, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed it, Laura. I wish I'd said that in my post. Prayer is essential. I just got back from my prayer walk a few minutes ago. Once I get the wet grass off my pant legs, I have to get to work. As to learning craft/technique, I've read a bazillion books. Some I've kept, highlighted and reuse, but everyone of them made me a better writer. The key was intentionally putting those techniques into practice right away. It was a struggle at times to figure out scene and sequel and how to maintain POV,(At first, I thought, "What in the world is POV?" Ha! But slowly, slowly with each new exercise, I grew.

      Delete
    2. Courage is fear that has said its prayers.
      Right now I struggle with structure, not as much as before. My former crit partner is a structure maven, and gently edged me toward better control. I have all the right stuff, just don't always know where to put it.

      Delete
    3. Kaybee, are you a plotter, a pantster, or somewhere in between (a cooker)? Sometimes a little plotting, even if it's only to use the four main plot points in a book helps with structure. I know this because I tended to wonder like a stray calf until I began to lay out those four major points ahead of time.

      Delete
  10. Hi Linda:

    So nice to 'meet' once again. I remember when we meet for the first time at the OSU branch in downtown Tulsa. I believe you were introducing your second book at the time.

    We got to talking and you insisted, after your talk as the feature speaker, that I should have a copy of your first book which you ran out to your car to get a copy. (The parking lot was a long way off too!)

    My wife was very impressed. "That's the nicest writer I think I ever met."

    Well you both seemed to have a lot in common. Same first names, same age, and I believe you were both classroom teachers.

    I've read that the reason so many people feel insecure is that from the inside they know full well all their failings and they assume others know them as well -- or at least they are just one slip from being exposed to the public as phonies. However, when they see other people, they only see what is on the outside which may exhibit few failings. Given these different POVs, it's no wonder many people feel insecure compared to others.

    I think this applies just as well to our writing. When we work for weeks or months on a WIP or even rewriting a contest entry fifty times, we know of all its failings. We know about some of the best material we took out because it really didn't fit the story. We can even imagine how much better it could have been if we had the talent to pull off a few difficult scenes. (Imagine what Linda Howard could have done with this scene.)

    Of course, the reader only sees what is on the page. And that to the reader may seem wonderful. The reader doesn't know what was cut or how much better it could have been. I believe this is why reading our own writing several weeks later can seem so good that we doubt we even wrote it! Have you ever wondered: "Did I really write this or is this a quote I took from another book?"

    Remember: the reader only knows what's on the page not what could have been!

    Don't judge your writing by what you just wrote but rather by what you wrote and polished last year. Read that!

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice Vince, Thanks. I needed this.

      Delete
    2. Vince, hello again! My, that was a long time ago, wasn't it? I'm amazed you remember.

      I love what you wrote about our fears insecurities. We do judge ourselves much more harshly than others do most of the time. What sage advice. Thank you!

      Delete
  11. Morning Linda, Thanks so much for the pep talk. Yes, those doubts can creep in. ANd is good to be reminded to keep positive thoughts and affirm your success. By the way, I wasn't at RWA this year, but I did hear your talk. Very inspiring. Good to see you out here on the ranch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra. Good to see you out here on the ranch too. I hope the writing is going well this morning.

      Thank you for the kind words. I hope it wasn't me who showed through the talk but that very special person.

      Delete
  12. Yes! You've given some straight answers to those questions that always seem to reappear. The encouragement file is a great idea, kaybee. Back to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Kaybee brilliant? I keep a folder in my gmail of all my reader letters. They're great to return to on those rough days.

      Delete
    2. Oh, sweetie, I wouldn't call myself brilliant, but I've been at this a while and made every mistake there is, so I've developed a lot of strategies, among them the encouragement collection. Between that and a five-days-a-week dose of the Seekers, I usually manage to keep the head above the water.

      Delete
    3. And when I'm desperate, I hark back to Ruthy's kick in the pants. Nobody says "I can't do it" to Ruthy.

      Delete
    4. Laughing! Although a few have said it... and I just give 'em the old Yankee look... and they get on with it. :)

      Delete
  13. I am having a Really Good Day. No pressing deadlines on my nonfiction writing, so I was able to spend most of the morning shoring up my first Inspirational Christmas Romance. I'm pleased with the way this draft is shaping up, but also picking up some things I need to work on.
    It is pouring rain outside and relatively chilly for NH in August.
    KB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do love those Inspy Christmas romances!! So glad you're having a "really good day". Here in the Oklahoma country, it's unseasonably cool and cloudy. Loving it.

      Delete
  14. Oops, forget the above weather report, I keep forgetting I'm supposed to be THERE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I was guilty too. But I AM on a ranch. lol Both real and virtual. That's my daughter and cowboy in the photos.

      Delete
  15. I feel guilty about having this much time to write. Feel like I should be doing something else. Which is crazy, I've lusted for this All My Life.
    KB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the immortal words of Frozen, "Let it go." (chuckle) Writing is work. Don't feel guilty. Remember, writing is your gift. It's not nice to reject a gift. :-)

      Delete
  16. I think one reason writers struggle with this is because we are artists. Those words we put out there? Those are our babies. We don't want to run the risk of being told our babies are ugly. We're exposing our hearts and becoming vulnerable.

    Someone once said (I Googled it to try to find the attribution and got a dozen answers) that courage isn't lack of fear, but working through the fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, such good points. The point about courage is well taken... everyone fears. It's how we handle the fear that changes the game plan. And usually the outcome.

      Delete
  17. Thanks so much for your encouraging words. They mean so much. The verse from Corinthians has new meaning for me now.

    Heading off to round up some words and corral them into something meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Linda marvelous? She's been a dear friend, an amazing example and an outstanding writer since I first met her.

      Her caring nature comes through every one of her beautiful stories...

      And I'm so glad she was able to be with us this week!

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Sharee, agreed! If we could bundle this retreat into a notebook...

      Oh, wait.

      We can.

      It's right here, waiting for us!

      Delete
  19. Yesterday was the last full day with my brother and SIL visiting, so I dedicated it to them. I'm squeezing writing in this morning before we enjoy the last bit of time before they fly home.

    I'm so glad I stopped by. Thanks so much Linda. I'll refer to this often.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post Linda! I wallow in the negative voices all to often! And the messages they whisper I've never hears from another human. That means I'm making up these "I can't" lies myself (probably with a little egging on from the enemy). They have no validation whatsoever except the credibility I chose to give them. I've been to generous lately and need to spend more time on the good thoughts. What an encouraging post!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Linda, I apologize for missing this wonderful day with you! Your words of encouragement are a gift, and ones I will read again and again when I feel the fear coming on.

    I took time off the trail to help a fellow author by reading her last edits (AA...author alterations) as I'm the one CP they call "eagle eyes" as I seem to catch all the little bloopers the line editor misses. Her book comes out in Feb 2018...The Marine's Surprise Daughter by Carrie Nichols (Harlequin Special Edition), and I feel as if it's my baby, too.

    Now, to get my first baby to that point, and it's thanks to authors like you, Ruthy, Tina, Janet, Julie, and the rest of Seekerville that give me such hope that I can do it!

    Blessings,

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete